Tip-Off Sports Vikings Basketball Club (Vikings) was established to promote the sport of basketball and to engage young people from the communities as well as the development of local athletes desiring to compete at the highest athletic levels of competition.
The club offers Camps, Clinics, and individual sessions, teaching the athletes the skills and techniques of shooting, passing, dribbling, rebounding and defense. The athletes will be coached by qualified and experienced coaches.
Tip-Off Sports Vikings is about teaching not only basketball skills, but this club will build confidence, promote education, leadership and character development while having fun. We also promote scholastic excellence, leadership education, healthy lifestyle, and personal development through sports-based youth development programs.
Tip-Off Sports PHILOSOPHY
- To provide basketball activities to all members, regardless of gender, ability, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio/economic status.
- To create conditions whereby all members have the opportunity to reach their full potential as players, coaches, officials and as people.
- To particularly stress the development of youngsters in their formative years. To use sport as a vehicle to give youngsters good principles, values and disciplines, which will serve them well throughout their lives.
- To stress the importance of education to go alongside any ambitions as a basketball player.
- To ensure that all members maintain the highest standards of sportsmanship and fair play at all times.
- To further the ideals of teamwork, friendship and self-discipline.
- To create a sporting environment which will benefit the individual, whilst always being aware that we are involved in a team sport and that all efforts should be directed towards the team.
- To recognise the partnership between players/parents and the club. Both sides have their responsibilities to make the partnership mutually beneficial.
- To stress to coaches that leadership by example will always be superior to leadership by fear. A positive approach by coaches will always be superior to a negative approach. Ultimately, the team will be a reflection of the coach. Intimidation or bullying by coaches, players, parents, staff or volunteers is wholly unacceptable.
- To stress the philosophy for all players and coaches, that giving of their best is a victory, regardless of the score, and giving less than their best is a failure, even if a victory is attained.
- To stress the concept of loyalty throughout the club, which will be much easier to attain by creating a caring attitude amongst all people connected to the club.
For our club to be successful at all levels we expect our players, coaches and parents to conduct themselves in a courteous and polite manner at all times.
INDIVIDUAL WORKOUTS (1-4 PLAYERS)
Tip-Off Sports’ “Individual Workouts” are for those who really want to improve their basketball skills. It is an intense workout on all aspects of the game including conditioning, attitude, advanced techniques, and understanding the game within the game.
TEAM/GROUP PRACTICES (5-12 PLAYERS)
Team or group practices focus on improving fundamentals and the offensive and defensive skills as a team.
BASKETBALL AND LEADERSHIP CAMPS
Tip-Off Sports uses the co-ed basketball camps and coaches’ clinics as a tool to:
- Motivate participants to attend, stay in school, and further their education after completion of their primary education.
- Promote gender equality, and empower women by the inclusion of females from the communities at every Tip-Off Sports Leadership & Basketball Camp.
- Promote Health Awareness.
Tip-Off Sports Vikings Basketball is affiliated to the Jr NBA Johannesburg League(currently suspended due to Covid-19), ABC League, Inner City Super League (ICSL) and the Johannesburg Basketball League (JBL).
With our newly acquired home court, we are introducing our own Junior League(May – August) and 3×3 Corporate League for adults and parents.
We have successfully organised tours to Cape Town and Washington DC, USA. We are currently planning another tour to Durban, Cape Town and the USA later this year.
Our Winter season is from April to October and will tip off with our U12, U14, U15, U16 and U18 teams competing in the Tip-Off Sports Vikings tournament in April.
Trainings will take place at the Old Parks Sports Club, 1 Garden Road, off Jan Smuts Ave, Bordeaux 2194 on the following days:
Tuesdays and Wednesdays
First session (U12, U14 & U15): 17h00-18h30
Second Session (U16 & U18): 18h30-20h00
Players may choose to attend one or both of the sessions depending on their availability.
During the April holiday, training will take place in the mornings as follows:
Tuesdays and Wednesdays
First session (U12, U14 & U15): 08h00-09h30
Second Session (U16 & U18): 09h30-11h00
League games will take place on Friday evenings and Saturday afternoons/mornings
TIP-OFF SPORTS APRIL HOLIDAY TOURNAMENT
Tip-Off Sports Vikings will be hosting a tournament during the month of April to jump start our season.
These games will be played at the Old Parks Sports Club on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.
More details can be found on www.tipoffsportsvikings.co.za