CRICKET SEASON: September to March
The cricket section has been in existence since the Old Parktonian Association was formed in the 1930”s.
Some well-known Old Parks cricketers who came out of the school were Dave Ironside, Don Stewart, Don Pistorius , Paul Kimber ,Stan Berger , Sam Rubin , Dave Webster , Tony Upton ,Jack Skewis , Harry Shapiro, John Horak, Bruce Muller, David Van der Knaap , Ronald Desilla, Doug Neilson, Noel Day , John Varty and many more.
The Club has been an affiliate member of the Gauteng Cricket Board from inception of the Transvaal Cricket Union.
The club’s First team has been represented in the Premier League also since inception of the Transvaal Cricket Union.
The Premier League was last won in 1975.
The current Chairman and First team coach is Doug Neilson the former Transvaal ‘Mean Machine” all-rounder who represented Transvaal , as it was then known, for over 12 years .
Unfortunately due to the country’s isolation from all forms of International sport many cricketers/players could not represent their country.
Chairman: Bryan Jacklin – 078 151 firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice Chairman: Ryan Wessels – 079 526 email@example.com
Secretary: Doug Neilson – 071 102 firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Shaun Bredenkamp – 082 777 email@example.com
Committee Member: Wynand Barnard – 082 429 firstname.lastname@example.org
Committee Member: Evan Morton – 083 280 email@example.com
Committee Member: Jonno Long – 072 600 firstname.lastname@example.org
Junior Cricket: Evan Morton – 071 864 email@example.com
Junior Cricket: Chrissi Barnard – 082 435 firstname.lastname@example.org
Captain Premier: TBC
Captain Presidents: Ryan Wessels – 079 526 email@example.com
Captain Sunday 2: TBC
Captain Saturday 4: De Wet van Biljon – 083 291 firstname.lastname@example.org
Consultant: Dave Nosworthy – 083 225 8996/dave.nosworthy@ gmail.com
Club Manager: Lizette Driescher – 084 910 email@example.com
Office Admin: Mantombi – 011 789 firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior cricket training: Tuesdays & Thursdays from 16h30
Junior cricket training is Saturdays from 8:30 to 11:15 am
All Age Groups: U6 to U13, commencing 8:30a.m
Saturday 21st September
- All parents are parent to assemble in front of the club house on the top field on the 21st for a very short Pre-Season briefing.
- Registration for those who could not make Registration Day will be permitted at the “START” of practices 21st, 28th and Saturday 5th October.
- Shirts and caps can also be obtained / bought on these three respective Saturdays and again also only at the start of practice.
Number of teams entered in the League
- 3 Sunday Teams and 1 Saturday Team
- Sunday cricket has two formats – 50 overs and Time cricket
- Saturday cricket is a limited 35 overs format
- ALL SENIOR PLAYERS ARE WELCOME TO JOIN THE CLUB
- Contact Doug Neilson – 071 102 5997.
Punctuality is of the utmost importance and therefore as that you always aim to be at practice 10 minutes before it actually starts.
The various age groups practice times are as follows:
- U6’s & U7’s – 8:15a.m. to 10:20/10:40a.m
- U9’s – 8:15a.m to 10:45/11:00a.m
- U11’s – 8:15a.m to 11:00/11:15a.m
- U13’s – 8:15a.m to 11:15/11:30a.m
(Please note due to the nature of the game it isn’t always possible to conclude practices exactly on time. Your support in this regard would be appreciated, and ask that at all possible you refrain from pulling your child away before practice has officially ended).
- U6’s – Don’t play matches as these children are still too young to properly master the art of bowling etc. Internal fun games are played & become part of every practice.
- U7’S – Play “KFC” 8-a-side Cricket.
- U9’s – U13’s – Play normal 11-a-side Cricket. (Matches fixtures are scheduled to commence from Saturday 8th Oct. clarity on this as well as fixtures will be made available at lot closer to the time).
Kit and equipment
Players are asked to wear their Club cap, a white shirt, with white shorts / longs. Each player must bring his/her own juice to practices. Please do not give your child “drink money” as they will not be permitted to run-off to the bar during “drinks break”. Also please ensure that your child is adequately protected from the sun by sunblock / suntan cream.
- U6 – U7: Need to bring only a bat. (Size 0,1 or 2 – Not bigger )
- U9 – U11: A bat, batting gloves, a helmet, a ball box, batting pads, a size 113g cricket ball and a tennis / soft ball.
- U13’s: Same as the U9 – U11’s (incl. the tennis / soft ball), except that they need a size 135g cricket ball.
Please ensure that all items are clearly labelled with the players name and age group. The Club will not be responsible for any lost or stolen items. Players must ensure that they look after their equipment, sealing away all items in their cricket bags when not in use.
The success of an amateur club depends heavily on the support it gets from it’s members, and in this case it’s parents. All our present coaches are volunteers and will require as much assistance as possible. At the end of the day Junior Cricket takes up only 2 -3 hours of your time each Saturday morning, when and where you can spare it. We assure you that anyone volunteering will be given the full support he/she needs and will never be expected to do more than what they’re comfortable with. We need support in the areas of coaching and administration within each age group. Anyone willing to get involved is to please contact Duncan Craggs.
Subscriptions form only a part in ensuring that we cover our costs, with sponsorship being the difference of whether we just make ends meet or are able to take Old Parks Junior Cricket to new levels. Therefore once again appeal to anyone who is able to support is to email email@example.com
We will endeavour to keep you informed throughout the season, which will be done by your various age group head coaches / managers & myself, via e-mail.
Regards, Duncan Craggs – Junior Cricket Chairman
(C) 084 317 9825
Doug Neilson, Chairperson: 071 102 5997
Duncan Craggs, Junior Cricket Chairman: 084 317 9825
Birgit Lategan, Treasurer: 083 456 8251
Dave Nosworthy, Consultant: 083 225 8996
Wynand Barnard, Additional member: 082 429 7987
Bryan Jacklin, Additional member: 078 151 2518
Mantombi Radebe, Membership Manager: 011 789 3274
Jonno Long, Additional member
Quintin Schnehage, Additional member
Tiaan Barnard, Co-opted member: Fundraisers
Brad Parry, Co-opted member – Fundraisers